Thursday 18 October 2012

Meanwhile, in France.....

It would seem that the Queens of the Eu, the French, are going to lead us all to safety heaven because they do know what's best.

They have conducted Le research and discovered that a sleepy driver/rider behind the wheel or handlebars is just as dangerous as a drunk one. In fact, sacre bleu, they found that drivers who were either drunk OR sleepy were twice, yes that's deux fois, as likely to cause un accident as someone who was sober or well rested (or perhaps even both of the latter).

 Is this why they have introduced compulsory carrying of breath test kits to all motoristes and mandatory wearing of hi viz to le moto riders? Stands to reason really. If you are in France and driving or about to, you will be able to administer your own breath test. I'm not sure if instructions then require you to place yourself under arrest, caution yourself against self incrimination and then get yourself to the nearest police station, but I bet they're working on it.

Planting incriminating substances or weapons in your back pockets and self inflicting yourself with blows that won't show the bruises are apparently optional. (flick knives are still legal in France, I believe).

And to add insult, a researcher in the USA, Christopher Drake of The Henry Ford Hospital Sleep Disorders and Research Centre in Detroit, Michigan said, "We know from experimental studies that just four hours of sleep loss will produce as much impairment as a six pack of beer". If it really was mainstream American beer they used, I can't see this research holding water, unless it improved the driving in which case they may be onto something.

But finally, some sense. I read in my informative Biker periodical "The Road" that a blue plaque is to be unveiled at The Ace Cafe on November 4th to the Third Earl of Harrow, aka Screaming Lord Sutch. 

Dave, I miss your common sense. Rave in Peace old chum.

10 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

Mon Dieu! Though really we shouldn't be all that surprised with the French concern for safety. After all, didn't they discover (in 1940) that it was safer to surrender to the Germans than it was to actually fight them? (That loud whirring noise which can be heard in the Invalides in Paris is indeed the Emperor spinning in his tomb.)

BillB said...

They have conducted Le research and discovered that a sleepy driver/rider behind the wheel or handlebars is just as dangerous as a drunk one. In fact, sacre bleu, they found that drivers who were either drunk OR sleepy were twice, yes that's deux fois, as likely to cause un accident as someone who was sober or well rested (or perhaps even both of the latter).

And knowing bureaucrats as I have come to know a few million Euros were spent to get to this surprising conclusion.

Tadanori said...

As someone who is teetotal (even a sherry trifle is a no go) I find it offensive that I should be required to carry a breathalyser when riding/driving a motor vehicle. More insulting is that its at my expense.

Currently there are more deaths by suicide than car crashes in the US. Will this mean legislation is just around the corner requiring us to have a psychologist and Samaritan shadowing us in the near future? I'm going to need a bigger house and car... What happens when I have a party? Will everyone bring their support team with them? Who'll feed them? Oh the horror! Just thinking about this is stressing me out. Where's my team when I need them?

Pulling back from the brink of madness, the solution is clear: Driverless cars. They're here now and allowed to share our roads in a growing number of States.

I fear motorbikes will end up being banned from public roads in the not so distant future. Live it up now while you have the chance.

Blue Eyes said...

They really don't get the whole "liberté" thing do they?!

There is an EU "plot" to ban motorbikes. Can't remember which internet I saw it on but it seemed plausible at the time. This is the continent of nanny knows best, after all.

Bill B said...

Blue Eyes - I am wondering if the people of Europe will ever rebel at all this "nanny-ism"? These bureaucrats have really come up with some stupid findings like this

http://www.neatorama.com/2011/11/20/eu-bureaucrats-drinking-water-does-not-prevent-dehydration/

Trobairitz said...

I am continually amazed at what governments attempt to regulate or at least pass laws to regulate. The hi-vis and breath tester one of the strangest.

I too am a non-drinker nowadays and would find it odd to have to pack one around with me. And on that note I have to add that growing up in Canada I would agree that American beer is weak.

The standard joke is: What do Coors beer and sex in a canoe have in common? Both are f&%king close to water.

Cheers.

Hogdayafternoon said...

AFSarge: French bikers are united behind the fight against this unproven, unjust and ill thought out bollocks.

Bill: You betcha - but the odds won't be worth the outlay.

Tad`: Like many things during my life, I feel fortunate to have had the best, enjoying the results of the sacrifices of my forebears. I just don't want my grandchildren to miss out on the freedoms I took for granted.

Blue: They certainly seem to miss the point by a kilometre. If you really want an insight into what these mutts are up to, have a scroll through the MAG website (campaigns). Thankfully, we have a professional political activist in our ranks - banner on my front page.

Trobairitz: Haven't heard that one :0 and only tried it the once (the beer, not the sex)

Anonymous said...

I believe the whole French breathalyzers in cars thing was instigated by a politician who has close links to a company that makes breathalyzers...Surely no politician would do something like that would they?
Retired

Hogdayafternoon said...

Retired: Mais non! C'est impossible!(Hey, argentin, voulez-vous acheter des Exocet pour vos beaux jets français?)

Justthisguy said...

I used to have my own rule of thumb: One beer per hour if I was going to have to ride home, two beers per hour if I would have to drive a four-wheeler.